From the home office in Lafayette, Indiana, here are my ten favorite moments from the last Late Show (if you haven’t seen the last episode, it’s still here for the time being):
10. The look back at Taco Bell skit (video). It’s one of the best remotes Dave ever did, certainly, but that kind of thing always made me squirm a little. I’m not entirely sure why Taco Bell agreed to it.
9. Dave’s goodbyes to the crew/The closing credits (Tie). Not overly sentimental, but touching in their own way.
8. Dave’s family in the audience. Harry sure looked uncomfortable the whole time, though!
7. Dave giving a shout-out to Harry’s friend, Tommy. I love that on the last night he’s doing his show, an episode 33 years in the making, there’s this minute where Dave’s introducing his son’s friend on national television. And, man! Harry gets so psyched about that! “Dad’s retiring after 33 years of TV? Meh. Tommy gets mentioned? HECK YEAH!”
6. Steve Martin’s entry in the Top Ten List: “Your extensive plastic surgery was a necessity and a mistake.”
5. Dave’s excitement over having Peyton Manning in the lineup for the Top Ten List. Here are all these other huge stars, and the one Dave geeks out about the most is Peyton Manning.
4. Dave’s joke at the beginning of the monologue: “I’ll be honest with you: it’s beginning to look like I’m not going to get the Tonight Show.”
3. Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s entry in the Top Ten List: “Thanks for letting me take part in another hugely disappointing series finale.” With the accompanying look from Jerry Seinfeld. (video)
2. The ending song (“Everlong”) by Foo Fighters, with the accompanying look back on all the years of Dave’s shows. (video)
1. The look behind the scenes on a normal day for the Late Show. Apparently Dave got in very early every morning (a little after 6!) to beat traffic, and then took a nap. I really enjoyed seeing a little bit of his interactions with the staff and what went into making the show. (video)
Written by: Mark